Monday, March 7, 2011

Pilgrimage of an Atheist

They tossed an atheist
In the fire of theists
Broke his legs and made him kneel
He bowed, He Knelt

With his broken back
with tears in his eyes
he asked
where is god? where is god?

They slammed his face
on their deity's legs
he asked again, where is god?
and yes, his nose was bleeding

You are a non believer, you! Damn You!
said them all, echoing were the voices
and deafening was their noise

Thats what I am, He smiled,
and screamed
in your ocean of sanity I am the wild!
slit my wrists and hammer my bones!
make my veins bleed and dry up
let this bloodshed of mine make you merry
for, this universe needs humans
more than it needs your deity

He raised his bloody arms and cried
"I have traveled this universe many time,
with my imagination and my metaphors
found countless inspirations"
"and when fear burns my heart I remember them all"

Why should I believe a forced thought?
can I not be what I always was?
My mothers child, lover of this world, Thats all I ever was.
should I bow down for something ever
which is not even close to fragments of my imagination?
said he

and he bleed and bleed and bleed
and he cried and cried and cried
soon his voices were diluted
and everything he was, was lost.
his body, shattered
his arms, broken
his hope, hammered
and his life, gone, forever

10 comments:

  1. एक खराखुरा नास्तिक जेंव्हा देवळाबाहेर थांबतो,
    तेंव्हा खरं तर गाभाऱ्यातच भर पडत असते
    की कोणीतरी आपापल्यापुरता सत्याशी का होईना,
    पण प्रामाणिकपणे राहिल्याच्या पुण्याईची!

    एक खराखुरा नास्तिक जेंव्हा देवळाबाहेर थांबतो
    तेंव्हा शक्यता होते निर्माण
    देवाने आपला आळस झटकून देवळाबाहेर येण्याची!

    एक खराखुरा नास्तिक जेंव्हा देवळाबाहेर थांबतो
    तेंव्हा कोऱ्या नजरेने पाहात राहतो
    सभोवतालच्या हालचाली, भाविकांच्या जत्रा...
    कोणीतरी स्वतःचे ओझे स्वतःच्याच पायांवर
    सांभाळत असल्याचे समाधान देवालाच!

    म्हणून तर एक खराखुरा नास्तिक जेंव्हा देवळाबाहेर थांबतो
    तेंव्हा देवाला एक भक्त कमी मिळत असेल कदाचित,
    पण मिळते आकंठ समाधान एक सहकारी लाभल्याचे!

    देऊळ बंद झाल्यावर एक मस्त आळस देऊन
    बाहेर ताटकळलेल्या नास्तिकाशी गप्पा मारता मारता
    देव म्हणतो, 'दर्शन देत जा अधून मधून...
    तुमचा नसेल विश्वास आमच्यावर,
    पण आमचा तर आहे ना!'

    देवळाबाहेर थांबलेला एक खराखुरा नास्तिक
    कंटाळलेल्या देवाला मोठ्या मिन्नतवारीने परत पाठवतो देवळात
    तेंव्हा कुठे अनंत वर्षे आपण घेऊ शकतो दर्शन,
    अस्तिकत्वाच्या भरजरी शालीत गुदमरलेल्या देवाचे....
    - (नास्तिक) संदीप खरे

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true Atul!
    Thanks for sharing such a valuable piece of advice in ur comment.
    khare tar, aastik aani nastik, hyanchyat farasa farak nasto. Devat vishwas thewanaryala jar aastik mhayche tharawale tar, manusaki madhe vishwas thewanaryala kay bare mhanawe aasa prashna yeto manat. Manuski madhe vishwas thewanara nastik sudha ek prakare astik mhanawa lagelach! (mala ha comment devanagiri madhe lihaycha hota, pan goggle transliteration tool maazi sath det nahi aahe..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. खरे तर , आस्तिक आणि नास्तिक ह्यांच्यात फरसा फरक नसतो . देवत विश्वास ठेव्नार्याला जर आस्तिक म्हणायचे ठरवले तर माज्या सारख्या नस्तिकाच्या माणुसकी बढ़ल च्या विश्वास ला के म्हणावे आसा प्रश्न पडला आहे माला. तुजे म्हानाने पतान्य सारखे आहे , पण ह्या जाग्रति च्या मार्गावर माजा मार्ग नेहमीच एकाकी राहणार ह्याचिही खत्री आहे माला.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok.. so this site refuses to accept the review that I posted :(

    I think this poem is bold and expressive of the rampant madness caused by blind faith and it's central feature being loss of ability to think rationally!
    The compassion and the bold attitude of the protagonist makes him the perfect target; someone who can deal with these external things and gain more spiritual knowledge.
    Each idea is systematically put down and it gives logical sense to the poem.
    I especially liked the wisdom in this line:
    'Why should I believe a forced thought?'
    One must ponder upon this sentence more than once!
    Quite simply a very thought through theme;your struggle with it is reflected very well!! Keep up the good work! WRITE MORE OFTEN!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good attempt kunnu. liked it.
    - Lalit

    ReplyDelete
  6. @nana Chan, Thank you soo much for such a beautiful review, u r really very encouraging! to be brutally honest, that line came straight from my heart. I wanted this poem to be an attach on dominating social lunacies and extremism. I am really very happy that you liked it. I assure you I will write more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice one!
    good that you took a long break to bring this piece!
    keep going....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey... I really like the way you have spotted the similarity in aastik and nastik. Anyone having a belief is an aastik. It does not matter if he believes in the existence or non-existence, a form or a non-form.

    The belief is the one that signifies one's existence and that's what matters at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  9. True Sonu! Thanks for the comment! Perfectly said! the differences between and atheist and a theist start dissolving when both realise that the importance of human beings arround them and regard them as their friends. Taslima Nasrin has often enlightened us on this account, I still remember her words, "let Humanity be the other name of religion".

    ReplyDelete